The Pig Sty ref: UK30095
Garden / Patio
Pets – not allowed
Parking - On Site
The Pig Sty is a semi-detached barn conversion that was converted in the spring of 2015 and now offers holiday accommodation for two and is a cosy retreat any time of the year. It stands on the edge of a wildflower meadow, created with help from the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, with extensive views over four counties and the Weaver Hills. It is located in the conservation village of Stanton, just 3 miles from the historic town of Ashbourne and 2 miles from the southern edge of the Peak District. The peaceful surroundings are ideally suited to walkers, birdwatchers, cyclists and all who love the countryside.
Ashbourne retains many small, independent shops, including antiques shops, and there is a wide choice of cafés, coffee shops, pubs and restaurants. The southern Peak District has many attractions including the beautiful Dovedale, the spa town of Buxton, Matlock and the Heights of Abraham. Lesser known is Leek, the ’Queen of the Moorlands’, with its lengthy history and a number of old and interesting buildings. Within easy reach of Stanton is Cheadle, with its magnificent Pugin church, for the more adventurous there are outdoor activities at Carsington Water and for excitement Alton Towers. Further afield are many places of interest, including Bolsover Castle, Calke Abbey, Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall, Hardwick Old Hall, Kedleston Hall and Shugborough. For those interested in our industrial heritage, there are pottery museums in Stoke and Derby, Arkwrights Mill at Cromford and the Silk Museum in Macclesfield. Shop 3 miles, pub serving food 2 miles.
Living room: With wood burner, Freeview TV, iPod dock and wooden floor.
Kitchen/dining room: With electric cooker, microwave and fridge.
Bedroom: With kingsize bed and en-suite with walk-in shower, toilet and heated towel rail.
Nearest railway stationUttoxeter
Railway station distance9.2 miles
About the local area
Ashbourne is situated in a beautiful green valley and is the southern gateway to the Peak District. A short distance from the River Dove, commanding the approach to Dovedale, this is one of Derbyshire's finest old market towns which still displays the original medieval street planning with historic buildings and a wealth of high quality shops. Even today the towns' appearance has changed little since the 18th century.
The cobbled market place, hidden alleys and yards are a delight to explore. Its many fine historic buildings include St. Oswald's Church, Owfield's Almshouses and The Mansion. The towns past visitors include Dr Johnson and James Boswell, Charles I and Bonny Prince Charlie, who stayed here on his march south to Derby in 1745.
Clustered around the old market square and along the main street there are many boutiques, antique shops, bistros, food shops and pubs including The Green Man and Black's Head, a famous Georgian coaching inn once frequented by Dr Johnson and Boswell.
To the north is Ilam at the lower end of the River Manifold; a pretty village with a long history, dominated by a memorial cross erected in 1840. Further along the Manifold Valley is Throwley Hall where the ruins of a fine Elizabethan manor house can be found.
Just off the Buxton-Ashbourne road is the village of Tissington, which is delightfully laid out with an imposing southern approach via a gateway and avenue of lime trees.
Other places of interest in the area are Tissington Hall near Ashbourne with wonderful paintings, furniture and porcelain, The Tissington Trail cycle route which follows the former Buxton to Ashbourne railway line and Thor's Cave in the Manifold Valley which was first inhabited by Stone Age man.